
Christi and I just got back from the semi-formal dinner (or Dining Out) for my company. Now that it is over, I am quite relieved, as I was in charge of putting everything together (time now for a deep breath or two).
I had a sirloin steak, Christi had the Lodge Salmon. There was the traditional Ceremonial Grogg, with each section adding beverages for their rank or job. Each ingredient represented a certain aspect of either military life or the mission that our company fulfills. Some of the ingredients were Alaska-brewed beer, coffee, wine, five different types of whiskey, brown sugar, coconut, sprinkles, Hawaiian Punch, Mad Dog, Everclear, cocoa powder, and orange juice. Once it was stirred (by a group of welding rods), it looked like a cross between V8 and hydraulic fluid. Fortunately, said Grogg was quite alcoholic, thus relieving me of any duty to actually taste the resultant concoction. Many others were not so fortunate, and the expressions on their faces as they sipped the Grogg were priceless.
We also had a guest speaker who doled out gag gifts, kind of an 'auction' where people 'dimed out' their peers to receive prizes such as the "Broken Wrench" - for the person who was responsible for the greatest damage to vehicle or aircraft; "Ice Road Trucker" - for the person with the most (or worst) accident last winter; "Iron Lung" - for the biggest smoker; and so on. The Brigade Commander was our guest speaker, and he was quick to point out that I have a very strange sense of humor. Who would have guessed?
There was also a slide show with many of the activities that the Old Dukes had participated in over the year, and a professional photographer was present to take portraits of the couples in attendance.
4 comments:
So, what was your award Chancellor? (Thanks Trevor--I have a new favorite nickname!)
That is the nice thing about being The Man In Charge - I don't get stuck with those awards! It was fun to stick other people with them, though.
You two look awesome!
Sounds like a smashing evening. You do look great!
Post a Comment