Thursday, May 5, 2011

where's a camera when you need one?

I took the opportunity at lunch today to try out my new chest waders in the Chena river. Now that the ice is (mostly) broken up, the Northern Pike are spawning, the she-fish (basically a fresh water tarpon) and greyling are starving. I had found what appeared to be an ideal fishing spot, with a nice protected eddy and easy access. As I stepped out into the river - which, by the way, flows pretty doggone swiftly, I slipped on a submerged mossy log, went to a knee, and filled up my waders. Yep, filled those chest waders all the way up. With Ice Water.
For those of you unfamiliar, chest waders are basically waterproof pants that come up to your chest, and let water neither in nor out below the armpits.
So, I then had to catch my breath, stop singing in the soprano register, and attempt to climb out of the river back to the truck. The next challenge was to change out of my waders and soaking flight suit without being arrested for public indecency.
To add insult to injury, as I was pulling my waders off, this really old guy drives up to my truck and asks if I have seen the Ospreys (they nest in a pole directly above the area of my little mishap). Apparently he doesn't realize that I am about half a degree from hypothermia, and just won't shut up about the stupid birds. They are there literally every day, but my thrashing around probably scared them away.
Aside from my pride, the only casualty was my phone. It was in the lower leg pocket of my flight suit, and was entirely submerged when the waders became a Brian-vase. Hopefully the rice bag will bring it back to life...

1 comment:

jeanette said...

I'm observing a moment of almost silence for you (it would be silent if I weren't laughing so hard). The worst part is you didn't even get to catch a fish! But more details are needed...what did you wear to work?