Thursday, April 15, 2010

New mode of transportation

I'm going to call this purchase a ... promotion present to myself, because if I call it a "mid-life crisis," I can't buy a ridiculously fast and expensive sports car (or airplane or yacht or snow machines or whatever) later on and justify it as that selfsame crisis. Anyway, with the days getting longer, the roads getting clearer, and gas prices getting pricier, I did some creative accounting and discovered that it is actually cheaper for me to ride a motorcycle into work at least half of the time than it is to drive my truck. So, with this wonderful self-congratulatory attitude, I perused several different options, and decided to get the Kawasaki SLR650 dual-track sport bike.
We live on a dirt road which connects to another dirt road before any pavement is to be found - thus keeping any wheeled vehicle clean around here is nearly impossible. I considered buying a 'cruiser' (kind of like dad's bike), but decided that with all the dirt, the trails, and the Pipeline so close by that a street-legal-off-road bike would be the way to go. It also helped that Kawasaki was running a couple of killer deals, and I was hooked.
The only downside to this is the fact that it has snowed - albeit just a dusting - literally EVERY SINGLE DAY since I have brought my new bike (yes, the odometer read 000000.8 when I picked it up), making it impossible to ride to work. Maybe next week...

1 comment:

Michigan Roys said...

Aint that the way it always goes?! I hope you get to enjoy it soon!