Today started out pretty well, even for an April Fool's Day. Allison ran downstairs this morning (at about 6:30) screaming "HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY!" Not really my preferred way of waking up, but I guess it is better than some of the things she could have yelled in lieu of celebrating today ('My bedroom is on fire,' 'a strange woman is in the bathroom with an axe,' or 'who let the grizzly bear play the Wii' are a few that I really don't want to hear).
Got off to work without any other shenanigans, had a pretty uneventful day until the final formation of the day, where I was to be promoted to Chief Warrant Officer 3 (CW3).
I was called up to the front of the formation, had my old rank ripped off my uniform (it's velcro, so not a big deal), and the new rank set in place. Then, of course, the traditional 'pinning' of the rank, where the promoter gives the promotee a good hard thump on the rank to ensure that it doesn't fall off through all of the congratulations that follow. Not that it is really in any danger of leaving its new home, as every single person coming through to congratulate the promotee also gives a good solid thump on the rank.
My platoon leader, who is a CW4, then continued the promotion tradition by addressing the company, informing them that as I am now one of the senior warrant officers, I am no longer allowed to whine, and presented me with a pacifier to keep my mouth busy with something besides whining. I was then told that I had to "pay" for my rank, 10 push-ups for each dot (CW3 rank is denoted by a silver bar with three square dots), so I dropped and started to knock out 30 push-ups. Unbeknownst to me, the other two CW3s in my unit had snuck up behind me and as soon as I was exercising, they liberally doused me with two full bottles of champagne.
Just for the record, that stuff is cold! I don't believe that I have ever had the bubbly in my ear, either. After two showers, I still smell like I took a bath in fermented grapes... Pictures to follow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
AWESOME!!! I am so happy for you!
Congratulations! I must say that people in the military are a little strange - with all their promotions and traditions and so forth!
Post a Comment