
"If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"
Those who have been familiar with members of the Curt & Chris Larsen family for several decades probably know that as a group, our fishing results pretty much reflect the above quote (I am ashamed to say, I have absolutely no idea who said that). We had gone fishing many times, had fish jumping literally all around us, and not a single bite - much less a fish actually caught. There were several occasions when we were fishing with a group, and one of two things happened:
Either nobody would catch anything (the temporary spread of the Larsen Luck); or everybody else around us would be catching fish left and right and none of us would even get a bite.
This went on for years.
As the kids have grown up and left the nest, my two sisters have married guys who are at least somewhat skilled and talented at reducing the local fish population. Perhaps the change of last name nullified the Larsen Luck. Me, not so much. Until my last deep-sea fishing trip in Savannah, I was fish-free for, oh, about 23 years. The last fish I managed to catch was at one of those tourist fish farms in Estes Park, Colorado, when I was 10 or 11.
Fortunately, the Alaska-ness appears to have cured the Larsen Luck in me as well. I went fishing last night and landed a 20" Northern Pike. Not a record by any stretch of the imagination, but he tasted good, and more importantly, he broke a curse.
Soooooo, Dad..... want to go fishing?
1 comment:
I think it is a record! You caught a fish that wasn't drugged and eager to be caught at a trout farm! To top it off, I am impressed that your wife and daughter have also caught big fish. When we visit Alaska I will have to go....I promise I won't take my cell phone to drop into the water. AND you can eat every fish I catch!
Post a Comment