Wednesday, July 7, 2010

You want some of this?!

Today, we had quite the casualty count here in North Pole. Trevor was playing over at a friend's house, and was stung by a wasp on his ankle. Not much fun there. While he was gone, we had Amber on the back porch, when she started batting at her face with her front paws. Turns out she was stung by a yellow jacket right under her left eye.
I learned today that dogs have much the same reaction as humans to insect stings, they will swell up in the affected area, and can even be allergic to the stings. The website even gave instructions on how to properly give artificial respiration to your canine companion (I am not entirely sure that I would want Amber's nose in my mouth...).
Immediately after the dog was stung, Erin was stung twice on her feet and leg; then I was nailed on my left shin. After I got everybody indoors, we looked out the back window and saw the swarm of wasps around their nest, built between the floorboards of our deck.
The score thus far:
Wasps 5, Larsens 0.
Ok, so now I'm at least perturbed, bordering on mad. Turns out, we have no flying insect spray up here in Alaska. We had two or three cans down in Savannah, but the movers will not pack up any chemicals or the like, requiring us to repurchase all of the stuff that we take for granted. So, off to the local hardware store.
After I got back, I put on a pair of jeans, my Goretex rain jacket, leather gloves, leather boots, and an insect head net. Thus attired, I was ready to do battle with these nefarious swarms of Satan-spawned insectile demons.
To make a long story somewhat longer, I single-handedly sprayed the nest, killed most of the stragglers with the Foam Wasp Terminator Spray, and squashed the final wasp with a shovel.
Final Score:
Wasps: 5, Larsens: 1 million.
Victory feels good.
Well, at least Victory doesn't sting.

No comments: