Friday, March 18, 2011

Pinewood Derby: Act I

Trevor turned 8 back in February, making him eligible for Cub Scouts! He was very active in his indoor soccer league until last Friday, when the season was over. I returned to Alaska just in time to catch his last game, where he scored the game-winning goal. But, I digress...
Trevor's first Cub Scout Den meeting was Wednesday, where we found out that the annual Grand Prix Pinewood Derby is next Tuesday! Let the insanity commence!


There are two main purposes of the Pinewood Derby, only one of which I will discuss today. The race car is supposed to be the son's project, with advice and assistance from the parent, not the parental project with the son watching. So, Trev and I looked through the internet to find car designs and templates. Once we found the one he liked, we printed it out, cut it out, and he outlined the shape on the block of wood.
Trev hasn't used many power tools yet, so once he outlined the plan on the block of wood, I used the saw to rough cut the car shape. I then showed Trevor how to use the rotary sander, and let him sand down the car to his satisfaction. He then used the air hose to blow all of the dust off of his car, then vacuumed up all the debris. Tomorrow we head to the hardware store to pick out colors!

1 comment:

jeanette said...

How on earth did they do Pinewood Derbys without the Internet? I LOVE the photo of you helping him use the saw (rotator thing? sander?)