Sunday, October 2, 2011

I've been called worse...

I had completed a maintenance test flight yesterday morning, and had to sign off the flight with our operations center. Once that was complete, I was walking down to the chow hall to get some lunch, and walked by one of the two Sergeants Major assigned to this little base (the top enlisted soldier in the battalion for those of you unfamiliar with Army ranks - rank of E-9; equivalent to a Master Chief Petty Officer for you squids out there). As we passed, he said, "Good morning, Lieutenant."
I stopped and looked askance at him, he took a double take - and began falling all over himself apologizing to me! He said that he mistook my three black dots for a solid black bar; and didn't mean to insult me. I laughed it off, and told him that I have been called worse, and then he said, "in that case, I'm glad that I didn't call you Captain!"
We both laughed, and walked off.
Hmmmmm.
After I read this post, I realized that it was actually funnier when it happened than it is when it is written down.

1 comment:

jeanette said...

Send that in to "Humor in Uniform" for Reader's Digest!