Sunday, October 23, 2011

Just glad to be here, sir...

Just to be fair, I am not entirely rational right this second. I am currently halfway around the globe, in a place where my countrymen and I are neither invited nor wanted. My feelings are a little hurt right now, so I am going to take some editorial liberties and go off for a minute or two...

I just read an article about the president of Afghanistan, and his amazing statement to his Pakistani brethren. Now, keep in mind that the Alaskan Sugar Bears were in Pakistan this time last year, feeding the starving masses - the Pakistani government was unable to do that. Pakistan has been hiding Osama bin Laden for some time; possibly even years. Pakistani militants (allegedly NOT under the control of the Pakistani intelligence agency, WINK, WINK) have been attacking American and coalition troops from the border for quite some time. Although we provide over two BILLION dollars to Pakistan annually as military aid, these goat herding mutts are not our friends. Not even allies (who, by the way, don’t have to be friends). Here is President Karzai’s position, in his own words:
“God forbid, If ever there is a war between Pakistan and America, Afghanistan will side with Pakistan”
Obviously, there was an interpreter involved, because I don’t speak Dirka Dirka; but that seems pretty cut and dry. If I were the King of the World, or even just the President of the United States, US troops (and contractors, where applicable) would be leaving this Godforsaken country THIS AFTERNOON. Why are we spending countless American lives, spilling thousands of gallons of American blood, making thousands of new American widows, and spending billions of American dollars every year in this place? To “win the hearts and minds of the population?” Or is it to ‘install and continue to support a legitimate democratic system of government ruled by the populace’ here? Maybe it is just to “support the lawful Afghani government during reconstruction operations.” . Regardless of the reason American troops are here, Americans have been fighting their battles (or assisting them, as is more politically correct) since the Soviet occupation in the 80s. Whatever our pretense, it is time for Afghanis to figure out their own @%#$ country, and to begin to police themselves.

No comments: