Friday, December 5, 2008

Christi's story

Christi wrote about her experience with decompression sickness:

Well, I called the doctor and had him explain to me how they determined I had decompression sickness. Basically the CT scan, EKG, blood work, and chest x-ray where to rule out other things that could be causing my symptoms. The tests all came back negative, so The doctor said the next step was to run a Hyperbaric Chamber trial. Even though my symptoms seemed to get worse or change after my first session in the tank, they improved with the remaining sessions. From this the doctor concluded that I had a mild case of decompression sickness and the six sessions in the Hyperbaric Chamber resolved the symptoms associated with the "sickness" (ie joint and muscle pain, shortness of breath). Being unbalanced and sinus pressure in my ears, head and face are the remaining symptoms which the doctor believes an ENT (ear, nose and throat doctor) specialist will be able to take care of. I came up with a formula for figuring out my exciting weekend in the ER.

Diving + Symptoms + Ruling out other possibilities = Hyperbaric Chamber trial

Conclusion: Symptoms resolve

Diagnosis: Mild case of Decompression Sickness.

Follow Up: ENT specialist.

I know, I know I missed my calling as a medical transcriptionist. (hahahahaha)

No comments: