Saturday, August 22, 2009

Beautiful Alaska summer Saturday

Today was pretty much just plain awesome. We all worked pretty hard this morning, cleaning the house, unpacking the last of the boxes (except for the one or two that are filled with stuff that we don't know why we had it in the first place, or why we have moved it from place to place to place), and hanging pictures.
We also cleared out the garage, and now are able to park both vehicles inside so that we don't have to scrape the ice off of our windshields every morning. It has been dropping down to the low 30s for the last couple of days, warming up to the mid-60s by the afternoon. Needless to say, the outdoor swimming season is pretty much over this year for our family. Either we have been in the South for too long, or it is just plain getting cold around here.
We finished up this afternoon playing monkey-in-the-middle (keep-away, soccer style) and really enjoyed the beautiful Alaska weather. It is just a great change to be able to spend an entire afternoon outside without either sweating to death or being devoured by sand gnats and mosquitoes. I was able to determine the origin of the phrase "being clotheslined" also, as I was racing for the hose (to prevent a water fight, actually, not start one). I jumped over the deck, and intersected the zipline (that keeps our dog Amber from running away) with the top of my bulbous dome. I felt like I was hit by a mid-sized lineman, as I looked straight up at the sky! I am way too old for this... The worst part is that there was no video camera runnng!

2 comments:

jeanette said...

Oh, how I wish they had been a video camera running!!! Oh, and I think you should just leave the boxes full of random stuff on someone's doorstep.

Michigan Roys said...

Unfortunately, it's just getting cold. I'm glad you got the cars in the garage!