Saturday, August 13, 2011

Living and working spaces



"It's a window, sir. All the kids are looking out of them nowdays."
-Minion
I feel a little more like my colossal-craniumed evil genius hero lately, as there is a distinct lack of windows in my area of operations. Our company lives in a collection of shipping containers that have been transformed into living spaces. The Official Army Acronym for this conglomeration is "RLBs," or RLB for the singular 'apartment' (and before you ask, no, I really have absolutely no idea what this acronym stands for). We started out with three guys in each of these small rooms, and are now down to two per since about half of our company is farmed out to two additional airfields. This gives us some extra room on top of the bunk bed, mostly for storage of stuff we probably won't use. I have the back half of the room, roughly 8 feet square. Not a lot of room for anything. About the only saving grace is that Nate (my roomie) is on nights, and I am working days. We see each other only in passing, or on our days off. This actually works out pretty well, as I become rather anti-social during deployments (sorry Kenn!) and don't really like to share my personal spaces.



At work, the three Maintenance Test Pilots have been shoehorned into a rather small office (it literally was the supply storeroom until we basically mutinied and moved the supplies out...), but the air conditioner works amazingly well, so there are no complaints from me! The entire office building is built out of pine lumber and a metal roof, so our walls are plywood with 1x4 'trim.' This makes it quite easy to drive a nail in to hold a uniform shirt, flight bag, etc... Now, if we can only get a computer LAN line dropped, that would make it perfect. Oh, we ... um ... acquired a full set of padded chairs from another unit's office... Rank hath its privileges!

*NOTE*
For some reason, my internet connection is unreasonably slow tonight. I will attempt to upload the other two photos again later...
-The American Sky Pirate

1 comment:

jeanette said...

I am incredibly eager to send you a package stuffed with all kind of goodies from Bed, Bath, and Beyond to spruce up your living and working quarters, but it probably wouldn't be wise because 1. I would have to pay for the shipping to get it all there 2. You would have to pack it around. Perhaps I will just send you some legendary posters or Justin Bieber or the Jonas brothers so your office can have some....atmosphere. :)I dare you to hang them!