Friday, July 3, 2009

Day 2 in Canada



We drove a very winding road at an average speed of 80 km/hr all day today. There was beautiful scenery everywhere we looked, and a new mountain to see around every curve. Christi and I have decided that Canadian drivers are all crazy, though, as we were being passed like we were standing still, even though we were driving faster than the posted limit! We stopped in a little town called Chetwynd, where the annual Chainsaw Carving Contest is held. There was a line of phenomenal carvings along the main street of this little town - I wish we could have been here about two weeks earlier, when the contest was held this year.
Just outside Dawson's Creek (no, not the TV show) we ran into a crazy thunderstorm, complete with lightning, heavy rain, and thick hail. For a few minutes, it was like driving through a blizzard (but much louder), complete with about an inch of hail covering the road! I don't think the truck was damaged. After arriving in DC (not Washington), we ate at a local steakhouse, and the power went out at the conclusion of our meal! Unfortunately, it went out in our hotel also, so we had the priviledge of going to bed with no power at all. Just as we were about to go to sleep, all the lights, TV, smoke alarm system, and air conditioning all came on at once! We reset all of the clocks, and then went to bed!

1 comment:

Michigan Roys said...

WE did this same trip last year at the same time. I guess not exactly the same but from Alaska through Canada. It is truly an amazing drive. Watch out for bears and moose! And soon you'll see herds of bison! Oh the memories! It is the perfect time for the drive because it is so beautiful. I'm a litle jealous. Have fun guys!